Let’s talk chick’n & waffles, is it breakfast? dinner? a main dish? a dessert? It’s gooey, messy, sticky, salty, sweet, yumminess that will make you smile from ear to ear!
I did not grow up on this meal probably because my mother knows my affinity for syrup and thought it would be a bad idea to give me a meal covered in it for supper. Now I am an adult (part of the time) and I can eat the syrup for dinner if I want. See, making choices, adult like behavior.
To get started with our recipe you need these delight soy nuggets or patties. I found out where they sold them by looking at their store locator. This might possibly be the best faux chick’n you will ever have. The texture pulls apart like chicken and they are super delicious. Their products are very versatile and the first time I had them I had to ask 2 different waiters if it was for sure vegan, I was convinced it was SABOTAGE! It didn’t come down to a dramatic scene though after they assured me it was vegan and even gave me the name of the product.
Next you will need a waffle iron. I suppose you could have chick’n & pancakes, but who are you trying to fool? That doesn’t sound nearly as cool as chick’n & waffles.
Start out by making your waffles one of two ways: from scratch or from a ready made mix. I make mine from scratch by combining 1 1/4 cup flour, 1 3/4 tsp baking powder, dash of salt, and 2 1/2 tsp sugar in a bowl. Then adding in 1 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mixing the wet and dry ingredient together until there are no lumps. If your batter is too thick, add a little more almond milk or water. It’s very easy, but if you prefer the mix go on ahead and save you some time! I made two full size waffles for this recipe since both my husband and I were eating it and we had 4 pieces of chick’n each to go with it.
After you’ve made the waffles it’s time to start frying the chick’n! ok, sort of, we have to get it ready first. To make the chick’n you will need the chick’n (of course), spring roll skins, flour, almond milk, apple cider vinegar (ACV), salt, and pepper. For this recipe we will double batter our chick’n because it’s tastier and crisper that way. To make the batter mix 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1 TBSP ACV together in a bowl that will allow room for you to dip the chick’n in. The ACV makes the almond milk thicker so give it some time to thicken up before dipping the chik’n in. In another shallow dish place 1 cup of flour then mix in salt & pepper to taste. The spring roll skin will work as the skin to the chick’n. I take the full circle and cut it in half, otherwise it’s too much skin on the little nugget. If you get the patties you may need the full circle. Once your spring roll skin is cut in half soak it in warm water until it becomes stretchy and you can easily wrap it around the chick’n. Once wrapped place it into the milk mixture, then the flour, and repeat. Once each piece is battered it’s time to fry, for real this time!
Now all that’s left to do is assemble this plate of decadence and pour on some maple syrup, or you could dip it but who has the reserve for that?! Not me, I literally eat this with my hands because, like I said, only a part-time adult here. Yeah it’s stick and messy, but let your inner child out while you devour this main dish dessert for dinner!
Vegan Chick’n & Waffles
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 pkg delight soy nuggets or patties
- 4 spring roll skins
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 almond milk
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- salt & pepper to taste
- frying oil
- Heat waffle iron. To make the waffles combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix in wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Add more almond milk or water if batter is too thick. Spray waffle iron to prevent sticking and then add enough batter to make a whole waffle. Close the lid and wait for them to finish. Often times I have to leave mine in longer to let the middle finish because I make them so thick. Set the waffles aside somewhere they will stay warm.
- To make the chick’n batter mix 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1 TBSP ACV together in a bowl. In another shallow dish place 1 cup of flour then mix in salt & pepper to taste. Cut each spring roll skin in half. Soak one of your halves in warm water until it is pliable then wrap it around the soy nugget. Continue until you have done this to all 8 pieces.
- Place the skin wrapped chick’n into the milk mixture, then into the flour, and repeat. Once your chick’n is double battered, heat your oil over medium-high heat in a shallow skillet. Use enough oil to come about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the pan. Once your oil is ready place in the chick’n and fry on each side until golden brown. Try to flip as few time as possible to prevent the batter from coming off. Place the chick’n on a paper towel or cooling rack to prevent it from getting soggy after taking it out of the oil.
- Place the waffle on your plate, top with your chick’n, drizzle with maple syrup, and devour!
I hope you let your inner child out while enjoying this recipe and if you have any questions please contact me! Don’t forget to follow me to keep up to date on my posts and get new recipes! See yall next time!
2 thoughts on “Vegan Chick’n & Waffles”
So yummy it is
Yes, who doesn’t love a dessert for dinner?
LikeLiked by 1 person