Fried okra is a staple southern side and there’s nothing better than a big plate full hot out of the cast iron skillet!
Fried okra is easily veganized and you can play around with the spices to see what you like. I am very traditional when I make mine and only you salt and pepper in my batter. You can add anything you’d like something to add heat or maybe garlic.
I buy organic okra at my local HEB and it turns pretty quickly, as you can tell, so use it or it will be trash fast.
I remember my mom making huge batches of this and piling them on a plate. She would use a paper towel on the plate that would be completely soaked and useless after a while but we ate them so fast it didn’t matter. I’e burned my mouth a fair amount of times eating these after they were freshly pulled from the skillet, but it was always a good night when I knew I got to fill up on these!
The recipe is simple and only take 4 ingredients! The hardest part is frying them up and waiting for them to cool down before eating them!
Once your milk is thick add some of the okra into it and then into the dry mixture. Continue until each okra is battered. Then you’re ready to fry it over medium-high heat. Turning to prevent burning, fry until golden brown on each side. Remove and place onto paper towel or drying sheet to keep okra crunchy. The okra does have to cook when you fry them so make sure not to fry them too fast otherwise the okra won’t be done.
That’s it yall!
Gluten Free Fried Okra
- Cut 1 Pkg of okra into bite sized pieces. Combine almond milk and ACV. Allow time to thicken.
- While waiting mix together 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip each piece of okra into the wet mixture and then into the dry mixture.
- Heat skillet with oil for frying over medium-high heat. Once oil is ready fry okra, turning to make sure each side is golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place onto paper towel or drying sheet to make sure the okra stays crispy.
I hope you enjoy this southern staple, contact me with any questions. Don’t forget to follow me to keep up to date on my posts and get new recipes!