In our home we call it ThanksLIVING. Last year I went lazy with my gravy, I used the one from the box of Tofurky and that was a terrible idea. I love Tofurky but that gravy yall, no! Don’t even think about it. So this year I had to make up for it and I SO DID! It’s no secret that here in the south we will cover basically anything in gravy and that’s what you’ll want to do with this!
Let me just set the mood for ya some onion, mushroom, and garlic all mingling together when some herbs arrive to the party and bring some veggie stock with a little flour mixed in. They all simmer together until the most amazing gravy ya eva laid ya lips on is ready to pour over all your ThanksLiving meal. The mashed potatoes get some, the tofurky gets some, the dressing gets some! Ah, so good my stomach is growling!
To begin add a half an onion to a pan with a little vegan butter or olive oil. Cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent. Add in 2 cloves of garlic and 8 oz of fresh mushrooms sliced. Let this cook down a bit until the mushrooms give off some of their liquid. Add 1 quart of vegetable broth to the pan and stir.
The next part is vital in making lump free gravy! You don’t want nasty flour lump all in your gravy and it’s easy to prevent that but you must be patient. Sift in 1/4 cup of gluten free flour ONE TBSP AT A TIME, constantly whisking! Sift some in and whisk until you can’t see it anymore, then wait a minute and the next one. Sifting this helps because you don’t have to just dump the TBSP in there. I use a one handed sifter like this one, isn’t it so cute?! That way I can pull the sifter once and whisk with the other hand.
Once your flour is sifted in add your herbs (I did 2 sprigs rosemary and 4 sprigs thyme) and let it all mingle together. All that’s left to do is stir it often and wait for it to thicken to the consistency you want. If it gets too thick add 1/4 cup broth, or water if you don’t have anymore broth, until it gets thinner. If too thin add 1 TBSP more of flour at a time until you reached the desired consistency.
Looks so delicious I might lick the screen!
That’s all it takes to make the PERFECT gravy you’ll want to put on everything!
Gluten Free Mushroom Herb Gravy
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- Fresh rosemary, thyme, and pepper to taste
- Add a half an onion to a pan with vegan butter or olive oil. Let simmer over medium heat until transparent. Add garlic and mushrooms. Allow to cook until mushrooms give off some of their water. Add vegetable broth and stir.
- Sift in 1/4 cup of gluten free flour, 1 TBSP at a time. Whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Add in herbs and let simmer.
- Simmer until gravy is the consistency you would like, stirring frequently.
- If too thick, add more broth or water. If too thin add 1 TBSP more of flour at a time until you reached the desired consistency.
I hope yall enjoy this thick and creamy gravy, contact me with any questions! Don’t forget to follow me to stay up to date on my posts and get new recipes!