Growing up in Texas, we like things spicy! During my childhood my mother had absolutely convinced me I hated jalapenos because she did. So the first time I tried a fried jalapeno, in my teens, I realized what I had been missing out on. Now my mother lying to me was out of love, she hates spicy food and was trying to protect her little ones. I think the years that I went without spicy food have really fueled my love and obsession with it now.
Ok, don’t be too afraid if you don’t like spicy because you can dip them in some yummy Diaya blue cheese and it tames the flame a bit. This recipe is too simple yall really, but I wanted to share because we absolutely love them and I couldn’t stand the thought of someone never having one. It’s literally a jar of sliced jalapenos, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and gluten free flour. That’s it. Really.
To get started take out as many of the jalapenos you want on place them on a paper towel. Dab them to get off any excess moisture so the batter stays put. Place 1/2 cup almond milk and 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar in a shallow bowl, mix until combined, and allow to thicken for a couple minutes. In another shallow dish place 1/2 cup gluten free flour and add any spices you like. I add a dash each or garlic, paprika, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat until it’s ready to fry. If you don’t know when that is, simply sprinkle a TINY amount of flour in the oil and if it starts to bubble it’s ready. You can do the same thing with a bit of water but stand back because it may pop ya!
Now for the hardest part of the recipe (because it’s so darn easy), battering the bad boys up. Place the sliced jalapenos in the flour, then almond milk mixture, then back in the flour. Add them to the oil and fry until golden brown on each side. You may need to lower the heat if they cook too fast. Take them out of the oil when they are done, place on paper towel lined dish or cooling rack and serve immediately!
Make sure you wash your hands like five times after handling the jalapenos and dear Lord please don’t touch your eye!
My mouth is watering just looking at these….
Super easy. Super delicious. Super addictive.
Vegan & Gluten Free Fried Jalapenos
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- jar of sliced jalapenos
- Spices of your choosing (paprika, garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper)
- Place jalapenos on paper towel and dab excess moisture off. Heat oil in shallow pan over medium-high heat.
- In a shallow dish combine almond milk and ACV. Let thicken for a couple minutes. In another shallow dish mix flour and spices together.
- Once oil is ready, dip each jalapeno slice into the flour, then almond milk mixture, then back in the flour. Place into oil and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Once fried to golden brown, place on a paper towel lined dish or on a cooling rack and serve immediately, preferably with some Diaya blue cheese! YUM!
I hope yall enjoy this spicy snack, contact me with any questions! Don’t forget to follow me to stay up to date on my posts and get new recipes!