Mac n’ cheese is there any better comfort food? When you transition to veganism you may fear you will never have a good plate full again, never fear I’m here to make sure that will never happen!
This recipe is based on my moms, of course but with all vegan ingredients. This recipe is just as delicious. It’s warm, cheesy, gooey, and scrumptious! My mom always made mac n’ cheese in a special pot, almost like the honey pots Pooh eats out of. I always loved that pot, maybe one day I will have one myself. Anyways, nostalgia flashback over, this recipe MUST BE MADE WITH SO DELICIOUS CHEDDAR JACK. Can you tell how important it is?! It does not work well with other cheeses. This cheese melts perfectly and tastes amazing, you can buy it here.
Let’s start with the ingredients….. Super simple right? It’s all in the cheese my friend!
To get rolling boil 2 boxes of the pasta of your choice until AL DENTE. DO NOT overcook because we will be cooking it additionally in the oven. Once your pasta is cooked, drain and add half of it to an oven safe pan.
On top of the pasta add 2 TBSP butter divided out. Basically I just break the butter up and place it all around. Top with cheese, LOTS OF IT! Make sure no piece of pasta is missed. I use almost 2 full bags of the cheese to make mine. Then top that with pepper, to taste.
Repeat with the remaining pasta ending with black pepper on top. When your mac n’ cheese is assembled pour almond milk down the sides of the dish until it comes half way up the pan. This will make your mac n’ cheese creamy and help the cheese melt.
Bake in preheated oven at 350º until everything gets all melty together. Around 30 mins stir all of it together and continue baking. Continue to cook approx 45 min, it may take longer sometimes mine takes an hour. You want some milk left in the pan because it will continue to absorb it when cooling down. Stir and serve!
Look at that cheesy goodness!
Gluten Free Mac n’ Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º. Boil pasta until AL DENTE.
- Place half of the cooked pasta into oven safe pan. Top with 2 TBSP vegan butter divided out. Cover with cheese, don’t be stingy!
- Repeat step 2 ending with pepper on top. Once assembled pour almond milk down sides of pan until it comes up halfway.
- Bake for 30 min and stir. Continue to cook until most of the almond milk is gone BUT NOT ALL. You want some left as it will continue to absorb it while cooling. This takes approx 45 minutes but can be up to an hour or so.
- Remove from oven, stir and serve!
I hope you enjoy this family favorite of ours, contact me with any questions. Don’t forget to follow me to keep up to date on my posts and get new recipes!